A healthy diet is paramount for good health, but it’s especially important during cold and flu season. That’s why we’ve put together this list of 10 foods and common kitchen ingredients to supercharge your immune system and boost overall wellness at the same time.
10 Foods to Supercharge Immunity
1. Chicken soup: Mom’s chicken soup may reign supreme, but studies show even store-bought chicken soup can reduce cold and flu symptoms and support the function of immune cells. For extra nutrients (and flavor!), add fresh vegetables and herbs.
2. Broccoli: To bolster immunity and support overall health, add cruciferous vegetables to your diet like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and cauliflower. They are potent sources of powerful nutrients that support the immune system such as trace minerals zinc and selenium, beta-carotene, vitamin C, and more!
3. Green tea: To support immunity and protect long-term health, drink a cup of green tea, which contains EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate) and L-Theanine. Among numerous additional health benefits, ECGC protects cells against damage, while L-Theanine supports the immune system’s fight against foreign invaders.
4. Mushrooms: Beneficial culinary mushrooms such as maitake and shiitake are high in beta glucans, vitamin D, and other powerful compounds that promote healthy digestion, help support immune cells, and maintain numerous other areas of health.
5. Chia seeds: These tiny seeds pack a punch when it comes to nutrients. They are high in antioxidants, high in protein, and contain a healthy balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Chia seeds also support glucose metabolism and offer a significant boost to vital energy. They support a number of aspects of immunity and overall health because of their extremely high nutritional content.
6. Garlic: It doesn’t just add flavor to your meal, it’s also been used medicinally for millennia. Garlic contains powerful beneficial components including allicin, a sulfur-containing compound that helps fight off foreign invaders. It’s good for your heart, your immune system, and offers potent antimicrobial support.
7. Yogurt, kefir, and kimchi: These three foods all contain cultures and a high amount of probiotics (beneficial bacteria), which help maintain immunity in the gastrointestinal tract and support digestive and overall health.
8. Sweet potatoes: Vitamin A is an important immune-supporting nutrient that helps protect mucous membranes while maintaining immune response in sensitive tissues. Just ½ cup of sweet potatoes provides up to 40% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin A in the form of beta carotene.
9. Pumpkin seeds: Your body needs both vitamins and minerals for healthy immunity, especially zinc. Add pumpkin seeds to your diet for approximately 10 mg of zinc per 100 grams of seeds.
10. Burdock root: Burdock root is often used in salads, prepared soups, or by itself in tea. Not only does it help promote strong immunity, it also helps balance blood sugar and support organs and tissues thanks to a compound called inulin.
Immune Support Supplements
Boosting your immunity doesn’t stop with the food you eat. Adding botanical and nutritional supplements to your diet can safely and effectively offer natural support for your immune system. Combining these supplements with a healthy routine of nutritious food, regular exercise, and effective stress relief can give you the upper hand against colds and flus.
Elevate your vitality with beneficial mushrooms! A number of species of beneficial mushrooms offer targeted support for immunity as well as other areas of health. ecoNugenics MycoPhyto Complex® high-potency mushroom formula offers targeted immune support when you need it most.*
The Healthy Difference
What you put in your body (and what you don’t) might mean the difference between staying healthy or staying home. So, remember to reach for immune-supporting foods, regularly move your body, reduce stress, and supplement with beneficial, natural ingredients that help promote healthy immunity and overall wellness.